An unidentified odor within the village of Bellaire turned into evacuations for area students and businesses in the 3300 block of Belmont St. yesterday.

Officials and emergency crews were called to make sure it wasn’t a gas leak.

The smell could also be detected across the river in Benwood. The Bellaire F.D. and Belmont Co. EMA immediately closed off 34th and 35th streets around the park.

Bellaire High School students were evacuated to the middle school as well as St. John Central Academy and Indian Run Learning Center as a precaution.

The Carnes Senior Center sent all of its people to the Salvation Army in Bellaire.

Officials from Columbia Gas looked for hours, but could not find a gas leak. They will continue to investigate the problem.