Two people charged in the death of a 2-year-old boy appeared in front of the Steubenville Municipal Court late Monday afternoon.

During testimony, a detective investigating the case told the court the child was malnourished and dehydrated, and the room Aiden Oxley was staying in reached nearly 100 degrees degrees.

Oxley, 2, was found by his mother, Melissa Barnes, not breathing, but it took around five hours for 911 to be called.

Monday, the prosecuting attorney calling the actions of Barnes and her boyfriend, Kayin Franklin, a disgrace.

It was 2 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 14. That’s the last time Barnes said she saw Oxley alive.

Just several hours before, Franklin reportedly fed the boy beef and broccoli for dinner and gave him some apple juice to drink.

The next time Barnes checked on Aiden was between noon and 1 p.m. the next day.

Steubenville Police Detective Erik Dervis testified that Barnes told him during an interview that she saw that Oxley wasn’t breathing and his feet were black.

He was lying face down in his crib covered in his own feces inside of a bedroom with no windows open, no fans, and temperatures reaching nearly 100 degrees.

“In the crib, on the, I guess it would be the north wall, that the crib was against, it was smeared you could tell it was a juvenile’s handprint almost as if he was fingerpainting with his on feces on the wall, smearing it,” Dervis said.

“On the floor, 95 degrees fahrenheit. On the walls and the actual crib itself, 97 degrees fahrenheit.”

Investigators say instead of calling 911, Franklin, Barnes and her 7-day-old baby took a trip to a nearby store.

Emergency responders did not get a call until 5:45 that evening, when Franklin went to check on Oxley and realized he wasn’t breathing.

While Dervis called the house “cluttered and deplorable,” there was one room that he found an air conditioner. The bedroom that Barnes and Franklin shared.

“The only air conditioning I observed in the house, the window air conditioner was set at 66 degrees,” he said.

The two arrested and now facing reckless homicide charges – felonies of the third degree.

“I mean, this is just a total disgrace that this child lost his life because of the actions of this lady,” police prosecutor Steve Lamatrice said.

An autopsy has unofficial results, saying Oxley died of dehydration and malnutrition.

“Aiden has an empty belly, no foreign food elements,” Dervis said.

“He believed the child received barely to no fluids due to a piece of hardened stool that was located in part of the intestines.”

The detective relaying a conversation had between Franklin and an emergency responder who asked why he didn’t check on Oxley.

“It’s not my kid.”

Barnes has ten children in total, including Oxley and the newborn she had custody of.

Prior to that, Dervis testified that all eight of her children were in child protective custody.

Both Barnes and Franklin remain behind bars on a $250,000 bond awaiting their next court appearance.